Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Rebuttal assistance.

Those that know the Elder know that he passes much of his free time playing tennis, often followed by an hour or two of social beer guzzling. Currently, I am playing for a team that often finds itself immersed in alcohol induced heated political debates after our practices or matches. Most of the guys tend to lean to the right to some degree, while a couple could use a V-8 to get themselves off the left. One of the more outspoken players is a guy named Andy. He is well spoken, a good listener and seemingly buys in to pretty much any talking point that the left has to offer. He is a teacher in the Boston area (surprise… surprise) and actually happens to be one of my favorite guys on the team. Oh the point, you ask? So this week, in response to our “call to arms” email he posted several suggested talking points for the after-tennis beer session. To that effect, I figured I would take a pre-emptive strike and post them here in the hope that the cumulate readership can come up with something witty or insightful (in the form of a rebuttal). I have a zinger or two of my own, but I figured I would infuse one or two from the peanut gallery, if you guys step up. Oh and… be nice please… no name calling… just thoughtful rebuttaling. In any case, bellow is an excerpt from his post…

I hope we can all get some beers afterwards and continue our political debates
after the match. I'd like to cover the following areas:

1. Taxes are a good thing, they pay for shit. When I received 600 dollars from Bush, I sent it back with an angry note in protest. "I do not want a tax cut until you take care of the billion dollar deficit."

2. The War in Iraq. I thought Osama Bin Laden was responsible for 9/11?

3. Bill Clinton was a good President. Who cares if he got a blow job?

4. Women should have their own private rooms in gyms.

5. The ACLU is a force for good in this country, both historically and today as they fight against the Patriot Act.

6. White men still have it better than anyone else.

7. Why the Pope is the son of Satan.


No comments: